book reviews , different studio guests each week. Join us every Thursday between 12 and 1pm on Radio Scilly 107.9fm or log on to radioscilly.com.

Missed any programmes? See below for list of guests, books and other details discussed.

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale

book reviewed live on show by Sue Major on 15th Nov 2012 A futuristic tale of life in the USA in about 100 years time. Margaret Atwood calls it science fiction I expected this to be yet another book by a “clever” woman writer that I would lose faith with after 5 pages....but no. I found it compulsive and couldn't put it down. We never know the real name of the speaker, nor what eventually happens to her. It is, however, through her that this very cleverly written story is told....about the fine line that exists between a Government's “protection “ of its people and and its oppression or control of them. I found it quite the most interesting book that I've read for a long time....one that certainly provoked thought and reflection...and one that ultimately keeps coming back to me .It's not my “read of the year”.....but it's in the top 10! Sue Major

No comments: