book reviews , different studio guests each week. Join us every Thursday between 12 and 1pm on Radio Scilly 107.9fm or log on to radioscilly.com.

Missed any programmes? See below for list of guests, books and other details discussed.

Thursday 21 February 2013

Michael Mosley - The Fast Diet: he Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer.


Review live on recorded show by Ro Bennett Feb 2013
THE OFFICIAL 5:2 DIET

IS IT POSSIBLE TO EAT WELL, MOST OF THE TIME, AND GET SLIMMER AND HEALTHIER AS YOU DO IT?
WITH THE FAST DIET IT IS.

This revolutionary new approach to weight loss really is as simple as it sounds: you eat normally five days a week, then for just two days you cut your calories (500 for women, 600 for men).
Scientific trials of Intermittent Fasting have shown that it will not only help the pounds fly off but also lower your risk of a range of diseases, including diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

Dr Michael Mosley, presents the fascinating science behind the 5:2 diet. He is the medical journalist whose BBC Horizon programme Eat, Fast, Live Longer, broadcast on BBC Two in August 2012 alerted the world to the Intermittent Fasting phenomenon. Mimi Spencer explains the practicalities of how to go about it. She is the award-winning food and fashion writer, for titles including the Mail, the Evening Standard, the Guardian, the Spectator, Marie Claire, Harper's Bazaar, and Observer Food Monthly, 

The first half of the book covers the fasting and science recap from the Horizon programme, the latest research updates and the general logic behind why intermittent fasting makes biological sense. It includes new insights not shown on the original Horizon programme. 

The second half of the book is about how the intermittent fasting will feel, how to organise your week, full colour section menu options, Fast 500 and Fast 600 menu plans which will enable you to incorporate this weight-reduction system into your daily life and it ncludes a calorie counter, 

Finally there is a general Q&A and a testimonials section.

I bought this having watched the TV show and read a few articles by Michael Mosley in the Radio Times and other supplements. It was an easy book to read and I found  it helpful to read the science behind fasting and have a useful reference to return to. 

It’s getting mainly good reviews and in most cases it seems to be pretty effective. One reviewer wrote: I consider myself a yo-yo dieter. Once committed to a diet I do stick to it. The trouble for me arises at Christmas, birthdays and other special occasions. I think to myself, for the next week I will treat myself, it's only Christmas or my birthday once a year right?  - Wrong!
This is a trigger for me. Once I have fallen off the wagon I am in big trouble and usually put the majority of the weight back on. Kidding myself that I will start again on Monday, but never following through. Only being jolted back into action when I approach my heaviest weight. The trouble is I have been "dieting", trying to control my daily calorie intake, essentially denying myself food. What I really needed was to establish a new relationship with my food. A relationship where there is no proverbial wagon to fall off... This is exactly what the Fast Diet is. You don't actually feel like you're on a diet. There is no constant struggle to discipline yourself day after day after day. 

One reader advises: Sipping throughout the day keeps the hunger pangs at bay and makes it easy to stick to the fast. 

I would certainly recommend it. Just don’t ask about the weight loss...

No comments: