book reviews , different studio guests each week. Join us every Thursday between 12 and 1pm on Radio Scilly 107.9fm or log on to radioscilly.com.

Missed any programmes? See below for list of guests, books and other details discussed.

Sunday 5 January 2014

Esther and Jerry Hicks - Ask and it is Given

 reviewed live on bookshow by Ro Bennett on 2nd Jan 2014.by 

I was initially very skeptical about this book and had severe reservations about reading it, but it was recommended and endorsed by people like Neale Donald Walsch who wrote Conversations with God, John Gray who wrote Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, Wayne Dyer who is a lovely astute man of tremendous integrity who has written many inspirational best sellers,  Jack Canfield who wrote Chicken Soup for the Soul, and also Louise Hay the grand old lady, best-selling author of the classic You Can Heal Your Life and founder of Hay House publishers who said, ‘This is, plainly and simply, one of the most powerful books I have ever read. One's entire life can change because of what is found here’. 

So I thought - ‘Well It’s not going to do any harm, so just try what it says and see what happens’. And it has become  my favourite book of the year and in fact an all time favourite because it has  really made a colossal difference to my life. It has been one of the most amazing books I have ever read and has had a tremendous impact on me because it has really enhanced the quality of my life.

Part one of the book is basically saying  that our thoughts affect our emotions and our emotions effect our health and well being. It  explains how our emotions are actually great indicators of where our thoughts are focused and that by changing our thoughts we can change our feelings.  So if we brood a fret  we end up feeling depressed, if we’re remembering or anticipating or enjoying a happy event and  concentrating on it, we produce happy chemicals and feel radiant. By deliberately turning our attention to what we want (as opposed to focusing on and ranting about things we DON'T want), instead,  concentrating on things which uplift us and make us feel good we can literally change our lives for the better. Then it goes on to explain the Law of Attraction which is a fascinating concept. 

However, what I especially loved about the book was the second part. In one chapter there is an emotional scale - a list of emotions going from fear, depression, despair and powerlessness up to love, joy, empowerment, appreciation etc. Then the book gives 22 processes to help you move up the emotional scale a step at a time, from wherever you feel you are, into a better feeling place.  

I have worked through the exercises and found them fun, practical, really helpful and effective. I’ve enjoyed doing them and I still go back to them when certain situations arise which throw me off balance or if I’m a tad peeved about something or someone has upset me. I have found them invaluable, immediately usable and they have never failed to work. 

Over the last five decades or so I have accumulated a large library of metaphysical and inspirational books and have thoroughly enjoyed studying, teaching and exploring the art of personal fulfilment. To me this book is up among the  greats. It’s positive and uplifting and empowering and I really appreciate the beneficial effect it has had on my outlook on life and my ability to be in a happier place emotionally much of the time - also how to work my way back to a better feeling place when life throws up something unpleasant or painful. I can honestly say that I've experienced radical improvement in every area of my life as a direct result of practising these techniques. I just love this book and can’t recommend it highly enough! 

In the USA Amazon reviews this book has 567@5 stars and 31@ 1 star. It spent quite a few weeks on the New York Times Best Seller List  - very well deserved! 

No comments: