book reviews , different studio guests each week. Join us every Thursday between 12 and 1pm on Radio Scilly 107.9fm or log on to radioscilly.com.

Missed any programmes? See below for list of guests, books and other details discussed.

Thursday 26 April 2012

Deborah Moggach - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

review by Ro Bennett on show live 26th April 2012

Paperback: £3.86
Kindle: £2.79
also published as These Foolish Things in 2005 and still can be bought under this title for
£5. 99 or Kindle £5.19 - WHY more expensive?

I bought the book because I had heard several people raving about the film, however I was told that the book is very different from the film and most preferred the film. I haven’t seen the film yet so can’t comment on that.

At first I enjoyed the book, it was interesting and there is humour and pathos but eventually I got bogged down with all the different characters and their individual stories, many weren’t described in enough depth to form an attachment to them and the plot tended to ramble. There were a few unflattering descriptions of people and situations which seemed a tad biased and I felt they gave quite an insight into the negative views and prejudices of the author, rather than adding anything to the story.

I still want to see the film which stars Judy Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, and Celia Imrie. I was trying to work out who would play which character but without success - and the film has been highly recommended!

Worth £2.79 though and an easy, relaxing read.

No comments: