book reviews , different studio guests each week. Join us every Thursday between 12 and 1pm on Radio Scilly 107.9fm or log on to radioscilly.com.

Missed any programmes? See below for list of guests, books and other details discussed.

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Karin Slaughter - Fallen



Review by showhost 1st January 2013.
I read this book on holiday, then wrote a review to put on the blog but by the time I got home I couldn’t find the review and I couldn’t remember the title of the book either, so I had to trawl through her books to find it!  I can’t even remember if I liked it or not – doesn’t bode well does it?  It obviously didn’t grab me but I did finish it so I must have found it ok.
It starts with Faith, who works for the Georgia Bureau of Investigations, getting home late from work and finding her mum gone, dead bodies in the house and her baby girl locked in the garden shed.  There is no note, nothing to shed any light on what has happened.  Faith needs the help of her partner, Will Trent, especially when a hostage message finally comes through and they both need the help of trauma doctor Sara Linton. Faith isn’t just a cop anymore—she’s a witness and a suspect.
They unearth police corruption, bribery, even murder and Faith will have to go up against the people she respects the most in order to find her mother and bring the truth to light.
Faiths mum is like ‘supergran’ and her ex-partner is a one woman vigilante working with Faith, Sara and Will (deeply disturbed soul is our Will).
Theres a lot of names (especially the kidnappers) which can be very confusing and more twists than a tornado (some of which are slightly far fetched).  Like I said ‘supergran’ being one of the far fetched characters who survives nearly everything.  But it's a good entertaining crime, thriller.

No comments: